Academic Warning and Suspension
Maintaining adequate progress for a degree is defined by meeting a 2.00 cumulative GPA (CGPA). Students who do not maintain a 2.00 CGPA move into a status of Academic Warning. While on Academic Warning you will have a hold placed on the registration of subsequent semesters and must meet with an academic adviser to remove this Academic Warning Hold. All notifications concerning the hold will be sent to your campus email address. In these notifications, students placed on academic warning will receive instructions on how to schedule an appointment with an adviser and all necessary froms that must be completed.
Academic Warning is not a punishment or the end of your academic career. The hold is a notification that it is time to seek help in taking an active approach to improve your academics. During the required meeting with your adviser, you may be asked to:
- Reflect on challenges that led to receiving the warning
- Discuss campus resources
- Plan a balanced schedule
- Understand GPA, grades and policies
- Develop a plan for success
- Schedule follow-up meeting(s)
Academic Suspension and Dismissal
SUSPENSION: You will be academically suspended from the University if you earn less than a 2.00 semester grade-point average while on Academic Warning. Academic Suspension prevents enrollment at Penn State for a minimum of two semesters.
DISMISSAL: If you have been placed on academic suspension two times and fail to achieve at least a 2.00 semester GPA you will be academically dismissed. After a period of four calendar years, academically dismissed students may seek re-enrollment to the University by requesting academic renewal.
What steps do I take to return to the Bellisario College
of Communications after Academic Suspension?
- Apply for re-enrollment through the Registrar by the re-enrollment deadline.
- Complete the Academic Self-Reflection Activity and submit your answers. Please take your time in answering these questions thoroughly as these will help determine whether or not your re-enrollment to return will be approved.
- Call the Bellisario College of Communications Advising Office to schedule an appointment with an adviser to discuss your return. After this meeting, your re-enrollment with either be approved or denied. You cannot schedule this appointment without having first completed the Academic Self-Reflection Activity.