Professor, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Nonprofit Communication
- Bachelor's: Geneva College
- Master's: University of Florida
- Ph.D.: University of Florida
Denise Sevick Bortree is an associate professor in the department of advertising/public relations and the director of the Arthur W. Page Center. She brings more than 10 years of practical experience to her teaching, including positions as communication manager, public relations manager and marketing manager for a number of organizations.
Bortree researches and writes on nonprofit organizational communication and sustainability. She has co-edited two books, one titled Talking Green: Exploring Contemporary Issues in Environmental Communications that published in 2012 and the other titled Ethical Practice of Social Media in Public Relations that published in 2014. She has authored more than 30 peer-reviewed journal articles that have been published in journals such as Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Journal of Public Relations Research, Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Public Relations Review, the International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing and the International Journal of Volunteer Administration.
She was selected by the United Nations Volunteers to write a background paper titled “Volunteerism as a Force for Social Inclusion” for its 10-year report on volunteerism, The State of the World’s Volunteerism.
In 2010 Bortree received the Deans' Excellence Award for Research and Creative Accomplishments from the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at Penn State, and in 2016 she received the Dean's Excellence Award for Integrated Scholarship. She was selected to participate in the Scripps Howard Leadership Academy in 2013.
She has guest edited three special issues of journals on topics including corporate social responsibility (Public Relations Journal), nonprofit public relations (Journal of Public Relations Research), and nonprofit organizations relationship building (PRism). She has presented more than 30 conference papers at national and international conferences where she has won numerous top paper awards.
Bortree sits on the editorial board of the Journal of Public Relations Research, and she has held leadership roles in the public relations division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) including her current role, head of the division. She is currently the incoming head of AEJMC's PF&R Committee. In addition, she is the past chair for the Association/Nonprofit Division of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).
In the News
- Associate Deans begin their roles July 1 in Bellisario College
- Six named 2019-20 Big Ten Academic Alliance Academic Leadership Program Fellows
- VIDEO: "Digging Deeper: Fake News" with Penn State President Eric Barron
- Faculty member selected to join Page Society
- Native advertising may create negative perceptions of media outlets
- Communications faculty, staff honored for excellence
- Ask the ethicist? Can I turn down a work assignment?
- Page Center to fund sustainability communication, other ethical topics
- Sustainability Unites brings groups together
- THON provides prime model for impact of volunteerism
- Panel dicussion to focus on 'Marcellus and the Media'
- Komen foundation works to regain support
- How crises create jobs in communications
- Faculty member selected to collaborate on U.N. report
- Halos can turn to horns, donors find
- Researchers confirm link between economy, 'green' advertising
- Book illustrates challenges facing environmental communicators
Latest Tweets (@dbortree)
201F Carnegie Building
University Park, PA 16802