- fostering the growth of students as leaders and scholars by connecting them with, or providing them with, academic, career, financial, and personal advising;
- offering a wide variety of events and cultural programming that promote a richer understanding of and respect for the diversities and similarities of all students;
- providing opportunities to engage with an array of student clubs whose members can work together in activities that contribute to Penn State’s goals to foster diversity;
- leading the Bellisario College in recruitment and retention of a diverse community (students, staff and faculty).
A Message to Students
Bellisario College of Communications Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence"
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
-- Article 19 of the 1948 Universal Declartion of Human Rights
The Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications recognizes that humanity includes people with diverse identities as they relate to gender, race, ethnicity, condition of ability and sexual orientation, and that each individual is unique. We believe that equitable access to media and communications technologies is essential. Everyone has the right to acquire information and be heard.
Communication professionals should understand and reflect the diversity and complexity of people, perspectives and beliefs in a global society. We are committed to equity and inclusion within our programs and among our faculty, staff, and students. We strive to reinforce inclusive excellence in media and in communication technologies through our teaching, research, and service.
- We will maintain an environment of respect and inclusion for faculty, staff, students, and members of the communities we serve;
- We will foster an environment that supports the expression of diverse points of view;
- We will provide curricula, programs and environments to students, faculty and staff that reflect the diversity of our communities, promote multicultural awareness, and challenge oppression;
- We will ensure equitable access to our facilities, programs, resources, and services, and that our policies and practices reinforce our values;
- We will design our hiring and promotion practices and review procedures to attract, retain, and develop diverse talented faculty and staff; and
- We will address and remedy unfair disparities in areas such as representation, retention, learning outcomes, and graduation rates.
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will be open at 206 Carnegie Building during the semester. Zoom appointments may be scheduled using Starfish. If you would like an in-person appointment or have any problems scheduling a virtual appointment, contact Karina Martinez (email@example.com).