Equipment Room Rules & Procedures
8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Monday to Friday
Ground floor, Bellisario Media Center
(6 Willard Building)
Reservations will be taken up to two weeks in advance and require the following:
- A workshop corresponding to the equipment you want to take
- Student ID
- Time AND Date that the equipment is to be Picked Up AND Returned
- What equipment you want
Student ID Card Mandate
Reservations/checkout/check-ins mandate that you carry your student ID card. No ID card = no checkout. If you are working in groups, the person who makes the reservation with their ID card MUST be the one who picks it up AND returns it.
Course Enrollment Restrictions
Equipment is only available to students currently enrolled in production courses for the specific needs of that course.
Making a Reservation
- Reservations will be taken in person, over the phone, and wco.psu.edu. Phone inquiries concerning availability are also fine. No reservations left over the answering machine will be accepted.
- Students with extensive needs are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to come in and do the reservations in person due to the amount of time required to reserve their gear over the phone.
- Your reservation is GUARANTEED for ONE HOUR after your scheduled pick up time. If you have not picked up equipment or called by the end of this grace period, it will be given to anyone who asks for it, and you will assessed a “no call/ no show” fine. All equipment room fines must be paid before you can borrow or reserve any new equipment. CALL if you will be late.
- Cancellations need to be made at least 1 hour prior to pick up time. You cannot cancel your reservation by leaving a message or via email; you will need to call/stop in and speak with someone personally.
Pick-ups & Returns
I.E. If you check something out Monday, it’s due before 6pm Wednesday. We’re closed on weekends, so if you pick up Thursday, the equipment is due Friday. If you pick up equipment on Friday, you have it until Monday. Please check your PSU email for email confirmations following your checkout.
Groups and individual must wait one night before getting the same equipment again. In other words, we want everyone to have a fair shot at getting their projects done. If you know you’ll need longer than a standard checkout, talk with your instructor and coordinate with the equipment room in advance.
The Bellisario College Equipment Room administers a physical inventory check over semester breaks. As such, students within production-oriented comm classes should make other arrangements if they decide to work through the break.
Start professional habits now!
Check your equipment and resolve any issues before leaving the Bellisario Media Center lobby/atrium area!
Check your PSU email immediately following your transaction for a breakdown of what items you’re responsible for, and when they are due back.
Equipment Return Condition
Return equipment in the neat and orderly condition that you received it in.
Late Return Fines
Late returns will result in a fine. This is strictly enforced whether you are 15 minutes late or a day late.
Arrangements for Flexibility in Pick-ups, Returns, and Extensions
Early pick-ups, late returns, and extension can usually be arranged in advance. We try to be as flexible as possible in order to help you out. If you have a special situation, talk to your instructor and have THEM contact us concerning if we can accommodate you. DO NOT assume that you can pick-up early, return late, etc. without talking to us.
Warning About Equipment and Cars
DO NOT leave equipment in the car. NEVER leave cameras, mics and other sensitive electronics in your vehicle. If stolen, it is your responsibility for replacement costs.
Problems & Fines
If you experience a problem with the equipment, make note of it and tell us exactly what happened. Many times "problems" are user errors, so make sure you can show us what you did. This way, we can fix the problem or show you what to do next time
You are financially responsible for the equipment. A typical camera checkout with all accessories can total between $3,000 to $5,000.
STUDENTS, BE ADVISED OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES PER THE FOLLOWING POLICIES:
- Tangible Asset - FN14 (https://policies.psu.edu/policies/fn14)
- PSU Identification Cards - AD24 (https://policies.psu.edu/policies/ad24)
- PSU Identification Numbers - AD97 (https://policy.psu.edu/policies/ad97)
Unpaid fines will constitute a “HOLD” on your Penn State Student Account, rendering you unable to schedule courses or receive your DIPLOMA.
You must pay an outstanding fine immediately BEFORE you may check out equipment again.
WE ONLY ACCEPT LION CASH AT THE COUNTER
|No show: failure to pickup your reservation||$10|
|Late: day the equipment is due||$25|
|Late: day after equipment was due||$50 per day|
|Late: on a Friday return (meaning it was returned on Monday)||$100|
A Phone Call Can Save You Money
There may be some leniency by simply calling us PRIOR to due time and letting us know what’s going on, when to expect you, etc.. “I didn’t know your phone number” is NOT an excuse. Calling AFTER your due time will not necessarily save you from sanctions, but is still appreciated.
Don't Burn Bridges
Chances are that you will be here for the next two to three years and will be dealing with the Equipment Room on a regular basis. It’s all about you….showing up, calling when you have a problem, and treating all equipment with respect. Remember, we are here to help, so don’t be afraid to ask us questions and be honest with us.